Magnolia School

Recent Updates

2418 28th Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199

Overview

Magnolia School was originally constructed in 1927 and subsequently expanded in 1931, 1941 and 1969.  The building and site have been designated historical landmarks by the City of Seattle’s Landmarks Preservation Board. The school was closed in 1984 and used as a temporary site from 1987–2004.

Project Description

This project will be a substantial modernization to the existing 40,300 square foot school and include a new 30,800 square foot gymnasium and classroom addition. The school will provide house up to 500 students in grades K-5 to help address current and upcoming capacity needs.

The existing building construction is a combination of concrete and timber framing with masonry veneer exterior and wood single pane windows.

The new building will be constructed of steel framing with masonry veneer and fiber cement panel exterior, fiberglass windows and modified bitumen roofing system. Interior finishes include painted gypsum wallboard, carpet, resilient and ceramic tile flooring. Site development includes a multi-level playground designed to provide outdoor classroom opportunities as well as play and improved ADA-compliant accessibility.

Energy efficient and green strategies include new thermally efficient window units, enhanced building envelope insulation, energy efficient gas condensing boilers coupled with centralized air distribution, heat recovery, LED lighting paired with daylight and occupancy sensors, and automated building systems control.

Information on boundaries for the new school can be found here.

Estimated construction start: Winter 2018

Planned construction complete: Summer 2019

Estimated school opening: Fall 2019

Back to BTA IV