Planning & Construction Updates and Photos
- School activation was complete.
- Teachers were setting up classrooms for opening of school as scheduled.
- Training of teachers and staff on school operations complete.
- Commissioning of building systems continued.
- Punch list work was completed.
Photo GalleryRoxhill Elementary at EC Hughes Ribbon cutting ceremony on Sept. 4 Entry vestibule Lunchroom/multipurpose room Stage Main level corridor First assembly for Roxhill Elementary at E.C. Hughes
- Completed mechanical, electrical and plumbing
- Occupancy permit allowed move-in to begin
- Started school activation and began commissioning
- Began addressing punch-list items
Photo GalleryAdministration entrance New flag pole Floor re-finishing in the commons Re-paving at parking, delivery and outside play area Paving complete ADA ramp access installation at portable #1 Boilers operational and signed of by the city inspector New chairlift at gym level
- Completed corridor ceiling grid and lights
- Completed classroom flooring
- Continued installation of corridor flooring
- Continued mechanical | electrical | plumbing trim
- Continued commissioning activities
- Continued low voltage data installation
Photo GallerySite plan 1926 building second floor installation 1926 building classroom tackable surface wall 1926 building teaching wall 1926 building reception desk 1926 building breakout space 1949 addition second floor corridor flooring installation continues 1949 addition classroom teaching wall 1949 addition main floor corridor preparation 1949 addition library 1949 addition gymnasium equipment installation continues
- Working on play structure seat wall installation
- Installing foundation for loading dock and ramp
- Installed teaching wall whiteboards
- Continued flooring installation
- Continued second floor Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) finish trim
- Completed data cable, fire alarm cable, and communication cable installation
- Installing ceiling fans and light fixtures
- Boiler Room
- Installed all equipment installed; power connection nearing completion
- Scheduled boiler start-ups
- 1949 Addition
- Completed library floor prep; cabinet installation in progress
- Completed window sill installation; trim work underway
- Installing flooring installation in the corridor
- Continued MEP trim out on second floor
- Continued data cable, fire alarm cable and communication cable installation on first floor
Photo GallerySite plan Play structure seat wall installation Loading dock and ramp footing installation 1926 building teaching wall 1926 building kitchen hood installation in progress 1926 building main corridor 1949 addition mechanical and electric room 1949 addition window sill installation ongoing 1949 addition library floor prep 1949 addition 2nd floor corridor installation ongoing
Photo GallerySite plan 1926 building – main level breakout space 1926 building – main floor corridor gypsum wallboard taping 1926 addition – stair tower plaster repair and painting 1926 building – 2nd floor reinstalling original existing trim 1949 addition – restroom fixture installation ongoing 1949 addition – main level floor prep completed 1949 addition – 2nd level floor prep complete 1949 addition – 2nd floor casework delivery Boiler room – hot water tanks 1949 addition – mechanical room air handling unit build out ongoing 1949 addition – lower level framing at library and gym
Photo GallerySite plan 1949 addition window replacement 1926 building main level concrete floor infills 1926 building 2nd floor finish mud installation ongoing 1926 building classroom teaching wall finish mud installation ongoing 1926 building boiler room new floor drain installation ongoing 1949 addition main floor sheet rock installation 1949 addition restroom plumbing rough-in ongoing 1949 addition 2nd floor mechanical variable air volume box installation ongoing
- Exterior – District masons continued to refurbish the exterior brick façade by tuck pointing the mortar, cleaning, and sealing. District painters completed exterior painting.
- 1926 building – Mechanical, electrical and plumbing rough in continued. Insulation and sheetrock installation continued. Fire sprinkler installation continued.
- 1949 addition –Work continued on metal stud framing; mechanical, plumbing and electrical rough in; and weatherproofing and window flashing.
Photo Gallery1949 addition window replacement 1926 building classroom teaching wall with electrical rough in, backing and insulation 1926 building 2nd floor sheetrock installation ongoing 1926 building main floor duct work installation 1926 building main floor duct work and VAV box installation ongoing 1926 building boiler room painted 1949 addition fire sprinkler main installation and duct installation 1949 addition restroom plumbing rough-in ongoing 1949 addition teaching wall installation 1949 addition 2nd floor mechanical VAV box installation ongoing
- Exterior – District masons continued refurbishment of the exterior. District painters worked to refurbish the historic windows and paint the exterior. Contractors removed the underground storage tank for the boiler room and backfilled the hole.
- 1926 building – Completed demolition and hazardous material removal. Mechanical duct installation, metal stud framing; and mechanical, electrical and plumbing rough-in continued. The cover inspection was passed for the 2nd floor. Insulation and sheetrock installation began. Steel erection continued.
- 1949 addition – Completed demolition and hazardous material removal. Work continued on metal stud framing; and mechanical, plumbing and electrical rough in. Weather proofing and window flashing continued and window installation began.
Photo GallerySite Plan 1949 window replacement 1926 building 1st floor administration office metal stud framing 1926 building 1st floor steel erection 1926 building 2nd floor sheet rock installation 1949 addition 1st floor water line installation Masons continuing restoration work of south wall 1926 building historic wood window exterior restoration Storm water line repair - original pipe was installed over the underground storage tank Underground storage tank backfilled - will be asphalt patched at a later date 1926 building 1st floor plumbing rough in for nurses office 1926 building 2nd floor mechanical, electrical, plumbing rough in ongoing 1926 building 2st floor plumbing rough in 1949 addition 1st floor duct installation 1949 addition 1st duct work installation 1949 addition 2nd floor exterior walls metal stud installation ongoing 1949 addition lower level gym PE office demolition 1949 addition lower level gym demolition complete 1949 window replacement 1949 window replacement 1949 window replacement 1949 window replacement
- Exterior: District masons continue to refurbish the exterior brick façade by tuck pointing the mortar, cleaning, sealing and rebuilding the chimney. District labor forces are repairing perimeter chain link fence. District window installers are installing new skylights.
- 1926 Building: Demolition is underway on the second floor. Hazardous materials have been removed. Mechanical ducting, metal stud framing, electrical rough in and teaching wall mockups are in progress.
- 1949 Addition: Demolition continues on the second floor. Hazardous materials have been removed. Metal stud framing is in underway. Mechanical duct work installation has begun and electrical rough in work is in progress. New windows have been field-measured and are in fabrication.
Photo GallerySite plan Masons continuing restoration work of south wall 1926 building new skylights 1926 building boiler demolition 1926 building boiler demolition 1926 building 2nd floor electrical rough in on teaching wall mock up 1926 building 2nd floor steel stud framing and mechanical rough in 1949 addition 1st floor metal stud installation 1949 addition 1st floor metal stud installation 1949 addition lower level library demolition 1949 addition lower level gym wall demolition 1926 building 1st floor slab removed for new plumbing Underground fuel storage tank removal 1926 building boiler demolition 1926 building boiler demolition
Photo GalleryMasonry restoration starting on south elevation Masonry restoration on the east elevation Removal of out of compliance playground equipment 1926 building 1st floor demolition new administration office 1926 building 1st floor demolition of restrooms 1949 addition 1st floor demolition 1949 addition 2nd floor duct work installation 1949 addition 2nd floor duct installation 1949 addition 2nd floor classroom duct work installation 1949 addition 2nd floor metal stud installation
- Demolition and hazardous material removal continues on the second floor of the 1949 addition and the second floor of the 1926 building.
- The playground equipment doesn't comply with district standards and has been removed.
- Work has begun to remove hazardous materials in the boiler room and gymnasium.
Photo GallerySite plan Masonry restoration Site – retaining wall chain link fence repair/restoration Site – retaining wall chain link fence repair/restoration Site – retaining wall chain link fence repair/restoration Removal of playground equipment – new chain link fence in background 1926 building 2nd floor abatement 1926 building 2nd floor demolition 1926 building boiler room abatement starting 1949 building 2nd floor demolition 1949 building 2nd floor demolition – ceiling tile removal 1949 building gym level abatement 1926 Building 2nd Floor Abatement 1926 Building 2nd Floor Demolition 1949 Building 2nd Floor Demolition 1949 Building 2nd Floor Demolition 1949 Building 2nd Floor Demolition Interior Trim Salvage Chimney Repair New Chain Link Fence
- The Notice to Proceed was issued and construction began on May 8, 2017.
- The contractor, Lincoln Construction, has mobilized the site and has started abatement removal process on the 2nd floor of the 1926 building and 1949 addition.
- Demolition follows the abatement crew and is ongoing at this time.
- The contractor has salvaged historical trim for reuse during the rebuilding process.
- The exterior masonry façade is nearing completion with the tuck pointing, cleaning, and sealing.
- The masons are rebuilding the chimney and once complete will wrap the work up on the south façade.
- The perimeter fence and retaining walls are being repaired, with new chain link fence installed and the retaining wall being repainted.
- The project is out to bid with the first advertisement on Feb. 7 and second advertisement on Feb. 16.
- Addendum 1 was sent on Feb. 17.
- A pre-bid meeting is scheduled for Feb. 22.
- Bid opening will be held on March 9, and the anticipated construction start is May 1, 2017.
- The building permit is in the final review and comment period, and anticipated to be released in March.
- The project team held an open house/community meeting on Feb. 13 with the Roxhill PTSA and community neighbors.
- The project was presented and a question and answer period followed.
- Attendees then took a tour of the building.
- Critical maintenance work is currently being performed by SPS Facility and Maintenance Department.
- This work includes some masonry restoration on the brick veneer and window restoration on the historical wood windows.