E.C. Hughes Elementary
7700 34th Avenue SW, Seattle, 98126
The E.C. Hughes building, located on approximately 3.7 acres, was originally constructed in 1926 with a three-story classroom addition completed in1949. Prior to this project, the school was leased to Westside School 10 years. This project will modernize the three-story 47,307 square-feet main building and adjacent portable classrooms to bring the building back into service for use as an SPS elementary school. The upgrades are designed to accommodate the program needs of Roxhill Elementary School or similar populations.
The remodel of E.C. Hughes consists of a complete remodel of the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and minor architectural alterations.
The mechanical scope includes replacement of the central plant, all air handlingunits and all duct work. The plumbing scope includes complete replacement of all existing plumbing lines within the buildingand installing new fixtures throughout. The fire protection scope includes reconfiguring the existing system to put sprinkler lines above ceiling height. The electrical scope includes all new wiring,new lighting throughout, and new data and power to meet district technical standards and current codes.The architectural alterations include new windows on the south wall of the 1949 building, new exterior insulation in the 1949 and 1926 buildings, new finishes throughout, a teaching wall in each classroom,remodel of the 1926 building’s first floor to include a new student restroom, and reconfigured administration space andspecialists’ offices.
Estimated construction start: Spring 2017
Planned construction complete: Summer 2018
Addition open to students: Fall 2018
Paul Wight | Capital Project Manager
T: 206.252.0648 | C: 206.261-6496 | E: email@example.com
Content to come.
Planning & Construction Updates
Demolition and hazardous material removal continues on the second floor of the 1949 addition and the second floor of the 1926 building. The playground equipment doesn’t comply with district standards and has been removed. Work has begun to remove hazardous materials in the boiler room and gymnasium.
The Notice to Proceed was issued and construction began on May 8, 2017. The contractor, Lincoln Construction, has mobilized the site and has started abatement removal process on the 2nd floor of the 1926 building and 1949 addition. Demolition follows the abatement crew and is ongoing at this time. The contractor has salvaged historical trim for reuse during the rebuilding process. The exterior masonry façade is nearing completion with the tuck pointing, cleaning, and sealing. The masons are rebuilding the chimney and once complete will wrap the work up on the south façade. The perimeter fence and retaining walls are being repaired, with new chain link fence installed and the retaining wall being repainted.
The project is out to bid with the first advertisement on Feb. 7 and second advertisement on Feb. 16. Addendum 1 was sent on Feb. 17. A pre-bid meeting is scheduled for Feb. 22. Bid opening will be held on March 9, and the anticipated construction start is May 1, 2017. The building permit is in the final review and comment period, and anticipated to be released in March. The project team held an open house/community meeting on Feb. 13 with the Roxhill PTSA and community neighbors. The project was presented and a question and answer period followed. Attendees then took a tour of the building. Critical maintenance work is currently being performed by SPS Facility and Maintenance Department. This work includes some masonry restoration on the brick veneer and window restoration on the historical wood windows.
Community Meetings & Events
More information forthcoming